Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/34/4378034/html/community2008/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hash Brown Casserole
MareWatchers Fellowship
Sat Jun 23, 2018 05:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Calendar Gallery Gallery Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hash Brown Casserole  (Read 803 times)
Carrie
Administrator
Barn Master

HM Harlazan aka 'Barnum', 2002 dun stallion

« on: Wed May 05, 2010 01:04 PM »

Paula Deen was on Oprah last week and made this, I had to print it out and want to share it with you guys.  I did a little tweeking to the recipe.

3 T butter
1 small onion, chopped
4 cups frozen shredded hash browns
1 pound bulk sausage, mild, hot or sage (I am not a big sausage fan, I used soy sausage patties)
2 1/4 cups whole milk
8 large eggs
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/4 t nutmeg
2 T Dijon mustard
8 cups cubed French or Italian bread, crusts removed (I only used half this amount, and it was more than enough)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I didn't use quite this much)
2 cups freshly grated Parmesan (I didn't use quite this much)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray a deep 13" X 9" casserole dish with vegetable oil cooking spray

Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and saute' over medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the hash browns and break apart. Saute' until soft, about 5 minutes.

In a second frying pan, saute' the sausage, breaking apart large chunks.  When the sausage is cooked through, remove it from the pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard and briskly stir to blend.

To assemble, spread the onions and hash browns evenly at the bottom of the greased dish.  (This is where I sprinkled a little of the Parmesan cheese)  Place the bread cubes evenly on top of the hash browns. (Again I sprinkled some of the Parmesan)  Spoon the sausage as the third layer.  Pour the milk and egg mixture over these layers.  Sprinkle the cheddar over the top.

Bake uncovered 45 to 50 minutes (I had to add another 15 minutes to this time, the eggs were still very runny) until puffed and golden brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: