Print
Author Topic: Rio  (Read 3595 times)
Carrie
Administrator
Barn Master

HM Harlazan aka 'Barnum', 2002 dun stallion

Rio
« on: Fri Aug 28, 2009 07:54 PM »

As most of you know, I adopted a German Shepherd from a dog rescue down in New Mexico.  I have had her for about 5 weeks. She was seized from her old owners because they had her chained outside, no food, water or shelter.  She was very very thin, when I got her she was 66 pounds, and she should be 80 pounds+.  I took her in yesterday to be spayed (no, it was never done and she is a year and a half).  My vet did some blood work, got her under, shaved her tummy, and opened her up.  This is when I got a phone call.  Rio was pregnant with 4 pups and about 2 weeks from delivery.  I had to make a very hard decission at this point.  With as thin as she was when I got her, I chose to have the vet abort the puppies and go ahead and spay her.  I know I made the right choice, I just don't think the pups would have been healthy.  The vet agreed with me.  You guys know an animal lover I am, and it made me very sad to do this, but it was the right thing for Rio.  She is doing fine.  She has quite a big incession on her tummy and I am watching it closely.  She is being very good and not bothering it at all.
Missy
Barn Master

« Reply #1 on: Sat Aug 29, 2009 03:50 PM »

You did the right thing Carrie... I would have done the same thing.  Don't fret over it.

How's miss Rio doing, besides recovering from surgery?

Carrie
Administrator
Barn Master

HM Harlazan aka 'Barnum', 2002 dun stallion

« Reply #2 on: Sat Aug 29, 2009 09:50 PM »

She is doing great!  She is such a joy to be around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: